To prevent catastrophic climate change, we must rapidly shift to low carbon, renewable energies. Yet, 65% of Europe's energy demand is still met by natural gas and other fossil fuels. Hydrogen provides solutions to several energy and climate problems. Geological hydrogen storage, like today's natural gas storage, is needed to store variable renewable energies and flexibly provide green hydrogen mobility, industry and residential uses. HYPSTER aims to demonstrate the industrial-scale operation of cyclic H2 storage in salt caverns to support the emergence of the hydrogen energy economy in Europe in line with overall Hydrogen Europe road-mapping.
The specific objectives are to:
- Define relevant cyclic tests to be performed based on modeling and the needs of emerging hydrogen regions across Europe
- Demonstrate the viable operation of H2 cyclic storage for the full range of use-cases of emerging European hydrogen regions
- Assess the economic feasibility of large-scale cyclic H2 storage to define the roadmap for future replication across the EU
- Assess the risks and environmental impacts of H2 cyclic storage in salt caverns and provide guidelines for safety, regulations and standards
- Commit at least 3 companies to using the hydrogen storage and 3 potential sites to replicate the cyclic hydrogen storage elsewhere in Europe on a commercial-scale by the end of the project
HYPSTER will pave the way towards replication with the target to go below 1€/kg for H2 storage cost for the potential 40 TWh salt cavern storage sites in Europe. The project coordinator STORENGY will massively invest for the upscaling of Europe's first large-scale, cyclic salt cavern in operation by 2025 and 3 more targeted by 2030.
HYPSTER brings together 7 European partners including 2 RTOs for technology development, and 4 industries including 1 SME, plus 1 public-private cluster association to ensure maximum dissemination and uptake of HYPSTER results.
FCH-02-7-2020: Cyclic testing of renewable hydrogen storage in a small salt cavern
STORENGY SAS FR
Other participating organisations:
|INEOS CHLORVINYLS LIMITED||UK|
|AXELERA - ASSOCIATION CHIMIE-ENVIRONNEMENT LYON ET RHONE-ALPES||FR|
|ELEMENT ENERGY LIMITED||UK|
|INSTITUT NATIONAL DE L ENVIRONNEMENT ET DES RISQUES INERIS||FR|
|ASSOCIATION POUR LA RECHERCHE ET LE DEVELOPPEMENT DES METHODES ET PROCESSUS INDUSTRIELS||FR|
- Project duration
- Project locations
- 92270 BOIS COLOMBES, France
- Overall budget
- €13 246 300
- EU contribution
- €5 000 00037.7% of the overall budget